Friday, December 23, 2011

A JOURNEY INTO WRITING

I have been writing for a long time now! There are also a few memories that bring a smile to my face when I reminisce those times. I have a memory where I am four, writing a letter to my 'Naani'. The letter is surprisingly in Urdu! I am writing all I want to say as a continuous chain of spirals, while making sure it appears neat! I am done with my letter, now reading it out to Mamma, proudly claiming that I can write in Urdu! I don't remember if I had the letter posted or not! I sure recall pressurizing Mamma Papa.

And then there's one where I am about six and drawing a bride, a 'mouse bride'! It's Mrs. Jerry (Tom & Jerry) on a notebook page, wearing a white gown with bangles and 'tika'. My elder sister asks me why the odd jewellery and I very confidently reply that she is 'fashionable' as if she had her own sense of style! The image is too small, probably the size of a little mouse, even smaller perhaps. It's about one sixth of the whole page. And when I get done with the miniature drawing, I tear the rest of the blank page. Now comes the story to tell. I write a story of the wedding, about as long as any essay a first grade student can write. And my parents and older sisters are surprised at what I have been up to.

Another memorable incident of me writing something was when I was 10 and my brother was admitted in the hospital. I decided to make him a 'Get Well Soon' card along with a storybook to save him from boredom since he would often get lonely. What would a book be without pictures. So I started off with illustrations describing the events that take place in the story. And beside each image I would write a paragraph. I still remember what it was about! It begins with a village woman at the river with her baby in a basket. The basket slides from the river bank into the water and floats until it reaches a new village where a childless couple finds it. Happy and thankful to the Lord they raise the boy as their own and so on....

It's funny how I discontinued writing as the pile of assignments grew taller at school. I did write though, essays, stories, dialogues, etc for English and Urdu homework. My teachers appreciated my work often, and it was always encouraging. I submitted a poem for the School Magazine for the English section in Grade 10, something I'll always cherish. I can somewhat recall what Mrs.Kavitha, my English teacher said about me the same year. She said, "Kokab can write really well, she does comparatively better in writing than in speaking"... As funny as I may sound, that gave me a lot of confidence!
Thank you Mrs. Kavitha Thambi for being an inspiration! =) Mrs. Tasneem Gandhi has appreciated my imagination and both of you helped me improve. Needless to say Mrs. Kavitha, your words have always encouraged me to continue writing.

Just about a year ago, I began writing my views on a Pakistani soap 'Shaista Shaista' at a group by the same name created by the team. The soap, written by Syed Mohammed Ahmed-a veteran in the industry, was one of its kind in today's Pakistan Television. I never had to face any restrictions while writing my opinions, there was no limit to the number of posts nor a hindrance to have my say. In fact, my posts were always acknowledged by both viewers and creators of the project. It is at this platform that I gained more and more confidence to share my writings and my own thoughts. So, thank you Ahmed Sir for always letting me share my elaborate insight on your work and for your words of appreciation. Thank you for giving me the confidence I have today. You have offered me the encouragement I never thought I would receive! You really are the Best Teacher I could ever have asked for! You are my Mentor! =)

July 2011! My first article gets published in a magazine. As thrilling as it was, it was equally unbelievable. Farhana Zaman, Sub-Editor of Bangla Express, my former classmate and my friend who made it possible with Almighty's Grace. Thank you for seeing a writer in me and for giving me the opportunity to contribute in your magazine. I will always be grateful to you for offering me a chance to put my work, my writing out there.

Both my parents have always guided me, they insisted I could pursue writing as a career to which I just smiled. My mother once told me I should keep a notebook or a diary to pen my thoughts whenever I feel like doing so, which I did. My friends have always believed in me and have been a constant drive, saying I am 'that type'... and that I should continue with writing or that I "...shouldn't go for 'Mass Communication' as you are already so good at it!" Minhah... Thankyou! =)

I now have my own Blog where I share all my work, both published and that which is yet unpublished. I am pleased to announce that today I have posted the very first Interview taken by me! =)

THANK YOU Everyone for making this Journey possible! I am still walking on the road and I have all your Blessings to guide me through!

- x o x o

2 comments:

  1. Good!! keep it up my intelligent buddy ;)
    sOmi :)

    ReplyDelete